Monday, December 11, 2023

Final Blog Post

I feel like I have both a positive and negative relationship with technology. Being able to connect with people that live in different states or use technology for work are just some of the ways that I use technology in a positive way. If I am using the internet in a way that will actually benefit me then I would consider that healthy. But when I am using technology way too much or getting addicted to the useless features that technology has to offer than I would consider that negative. I couldn't remember the last time that I checked my screen time but when we checked them in class it showed me that I have been using technology in a negative way. Tiktok was my most used app with it being used more than three hours a day. This was very alarming to me as I realized that I was watching mostly stupid videos that wouldn’t benefit me in any way. Over the rest of the semester I set a screen time limit on a bunch of useless apps and my screen time has decreased a lot.

I have seen my friends, family, and people around me use technology in worse ways than me. During the first two weeks of my freshman year I remember hearing my suitemate getting into an argument with his girlfriend over the phone. They kept arguing and I remember him telling her that he needed more time to play his Xbox. I didn’t think anything of it and minded my own business. The next morning he’s comes into my room and told me that he broke up with her so that he would have more time to play a new video game that just came out. Remembering this story makes my past Tiktok issue look like nothing. I have seen my family use technology in a positive way. My parents need it for work and my siblings need it for school. When there it’s a family member’s birthday and they live out of the state, we can FaceTime them to wish them a happy birthday. 

    When I use the internet I trust most of the websites and videos that I have seen. I trust these websites so much that I feel as they do make me smarter. Without the internet there would be tons of skills that I wouldn't have learned. Obviously there’s fake content out there that can manipulate the truth that you have to watch out for. When reading about deepfakes for one of my presentations it was ridiculous how real some of them looked and sounded. As someone that trusts around sixty to seventy percent of the content I see online, it was alarming. I wonder how many fake videos have tricked me into trusting their fake information. Something that I like to use to verify if a video is real or not is taking a look at the comments. This doesn’t always work but if people are disagreeing with the information, most of the time the videos fake.


In class we watched the Mad World  Remix Of Moby, and it shows how people view the real world vs. their phones once they get addicted. When people are on their phones the actual screen has color but when they look away from their phones the environment around them is black and white. This is showing how our cell phones have isolated us from our society. This video had great animations and the scenes were genius. The artist came with great ways to display how our phones are taking away human interaction. At the end of the day being on your device can be beneficial but when it makes the real world boring that's when it becomes a major problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post

I feel like I have both a positive and negative relationship with technology. Being able to connect with people that live in different state...